Bats Reports Strong Market Share Across All Markets in July
BUSINESS WIRE – KANSAS CITY, Mo. & NEW YORK & LONDON-Bats Global Markets, Inc. (Bats: BATS), a leading global exchange operator and provider of market data and other financial markets services, today reported July data and highlights, including strong market share across all of its markets for the month.
Highlights for July include:
- Remaining the #1 U.S. market operator for ETF trading, executing 23.8% of all volume during the month, and winning 28% of all U.S. ETF listings so far this year;
- Welcoming three new issuers to the Bats ETF Marketplace – Legg Mason, ARK Investment Management, and Cambria – bringing the total number of issuers to 15 listing a total of 98 ETFs;
- Receiving SEC approval of its filing to adopt generic listings standards for actively managed ETFs;
- Maintaining market leadership in single-leg equity options trades with 17.0% market share;
- Maintaining its position as the second-largest U.S. Equities market operator with 20.4% market share;
- Unveiling the Community Policing Program for its U.S. Equities and Options exchanges;
- Retaining its position as the largest European stock exchange with 23.1% market share and the largest trade reporting facility with €345.9 billion reported to BXTR for the month;
- Recording average daily volume of $26.2 billion for Hotspot, the company’s institutional spot foreign exchange market;
- Recording more than $104 billion of notional value per day touched by the Bats markets in July, including trades reported to BXTR.
July 2016 Volume and Market Share Overview
|U.S. Equities (Bats Exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGA, EDGX)||July 2016|
|Bats Exchanges – Overall market share||20.4%|
|Bats Exchanges – Average daily matched volume (shares)||1.35 billion|
|Overall Industry – Average daily consolidated volume (shares)||6.62 billion|
|U.S. Equity Options (Bats Options – BZX Options + EDGX Options)|
|Bats Options – Overall market share||10.7%|
|Bats Options – Average daily matched volume (contracts)||1,616,116|
Overall Industry – Average daily consolidated volume (contracts)
|Foreign Exchange (Hotspot)|
|Total volume traded||$551.0 billion|
|Average daily volume (ADV)||$26.2 billion|
|European Equities (Bats Europe Equities )|
|Bats Europe – Overall European market share||23.1%|
|Bats Europe – Average daily notional value||€10.1 billion|
Pan-European Consolidated Volume1 – Average daily notional value
|European Trade Reporting (BXTR)|
|BXTR – Total notional value reported||€345.9 billion|
|BXTR – Average daily notional value reported||€16.5 billion|
Highlights for the month of July are outlined below by business line.
U.S. EQUITIES: Bats Exchanges (BYX, BZX, EDGA, EDGX) Volume & Market Share
- During July, the BZX Exchange ranked 1st or 2nd in quality of trading in 50% of the stocks in the S&P 500® Index, as measured by effective spread, according to the Bats market quality statistics.
- Combined, the Bats Exchanges had the lowest effective spread in 59% of the top 100 exchange-traded products in July.
|July 2016||July 2015|
|Bats Exchanges – Overall market share||20.4%||21.0%|
|Bats Exchanges – Average daily volume traded (shares)||1.35 billion||1.41 billion|
|Bats Exchanges – Average daily notional value traded||$48.3 billion||$55.5 billion|
|Bats Exchanges – Total notional value traded for month||$964.9 billion||$1.22 trillion|
|Bats Exchanges market share – Tape A securities||18.6%||18.5%|
|Bats Exchanges market share – Tape B securities||23.5%||26.0%|
|Bats Exchanges market share – Tape C securities||21.6%||22.0%|
|Bats Exchanges market share in ETF trading||23.8%||25.9%|
For additional U.S. equities market volume information: Bats U.S. Equities Market Volume Summary
U.S. OPTIONS: Bats Options (BZX Options + EDGX Options) Volume & Market Share
|July 2016||July 2015|
|Bats Options – Overall market share||10.7%||10.8%|
|BZX Options – Market share||9.9%||10.8%|
|EDGX Options – Market share||0.8%||N/A|
|Bats Options – Overall average daily volume (contracts)||1,616,116||1,829,651|
|BZX Options – Average daily volume||1,500,628||1,829,651|
|EDGX Options – Average daily volume||115,488||N/A|
For additional U.S. Options market volume information: Bats U.S. Options Market Volume Summary
FOREIGN EXCHANGE: Hotspot Highlights, Volume & Market Share Statistics2
|Hotspot Market Statistics||July 2016||July 2015|
|Total volume traded||$551.0 billion||$540.7 billion|
|Average daily volume (ADV)||$26.2 billion||$23.5 billion|
|Number of trading days||21||23|
|Hotspot Volume Percentage Breakdown|
|Top Five Currency Pairs by Volume Percentage|
Hotspot daily, monthly, and quarterly volumes are posted on the Hotspot website.
EUROPEAN EQUITIES: Bats Europe + BXTR Volume & Market Share3
- According to Bats statistics on market size, 38.5% of all equity transactions in Europe (either traded on exchange or OTC) touched Bats’ systems in July.
|July 2016||July 2015|
|Bats Europe – Overall market share||23.1%||23.4%|
|Bats Europe – Average daily notional value traded||€10.1 billion||€12.2 billion|
|Displayed average daily notional value||€9.0 billion||€9.9 billion|
Non-displayed4 average daily notional value
|€1.1 billion||€1.2 billion|
|Bats Europe – Total notional value traded||€212.0 billion||€256.4 billion|
|BXTR – Total notional value reported||€345.9 billion||€401.1 billion|
|BXTR – Average daily notional value reported||€16.5 billion||€17.4 billion|
BATS INDICES: July Monthly Performance for Key Bats Indices
Additional information is available on the Bats Indices website.
|Bats UK 100||3.9%|
|Bats UK 250||6.7%|
|Bats UK All Companies||4.4%|
EUROPE: Bats Europe Equities & Market Share
For additional European Equities market volume information: Bats Europe Market Volume Summary
|July 2016||July 2015|
|London market overall||26.1%||22.8%|
|Bats UK 100||28.0%||N/A|
|FTSE 100 securities||27.7%||23.8%|
|FTSE 250 securities||24.5%||23.9%|
|Paris market overall||22.7%||26.5%|
|CAC 40 securities||23.0%||27.1%|
|CAC Next20 securities||26.0%||27.6%|
|Frankfurt market overall||24.3%||27.1%|
|DAX 30 securities||25.0%||28.4%|
|Amsterdam market overall||22.9%||24.4%|
|Brussels market overall||23.8%||23.8%|
|BEL 20 securities||22.2%||24.0%|
|Milan market overall||11.4%||15.9%|
|FTSE MIB securities||12.7%||16.9%|
|Zurich market overall||22.1%||21.1%|
|Nordic market overall||24.2%||24.0%|
|Helsinki OMXH25 securities||26.8%||30.2%|
|Stockholm OMXS30 securities||25.9%||25.4%|
|Copenhagen OMXC20 securities||21.9%||21.2%|
|Oslo OBX securities||22.8%||21.3%|
|Vienna market overall||17.1%||18.3%|
|Lisbon market overall||19.7%||17.1%|
|Dublin market overall||16.1%||15.1%|
|ISEQ 20 securities||16.1%||15.1%|
|Madrid market overall||23.5%||20.9%|
|IBEX 35 securities||24.4%||21.9%|
|EUROSTOXX 50 securities||21.5%||25.0%|
About Bats Global Markets, Inc.
Bats Global Markets, Inc. is a leading global operator of exchanges and services for financial markets, dedicated to Making Markets Better. We are the second-largest stock exchange operator in the U.S., operate the largest stock exchange and trade reporting facility in Europe, and are the #1 market globally for ETF trading. We also operate two fast-growing U.S. options exchanges. In the global foreign exchange market, we operate Hotspot. ETF.com, a leading provider of ETF news, data and analysis, is a wholly-owned subsidiary. The company is headquartered in Kansas City with offices in New York, London, Chicago, San Francisco, Singapore and Quito. Visitbats.com and @BatsGlobal for more information.
Passive funds represented nearly all U.S. equity inflows.
Centrally cleared and settled transactions have been in continuously increasing demand.
The collaboration allows Citi to scale its fixed income ETF servicing business.
The majority of US ETF issuers are either developing or planning to develop transparent active ETFs.
The next focal point of the crypto market will be over-the-counter derivatives.