CME Reaches Record Average Daily Volume
CME Group, the world’s leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today reported its March and first-quarter 2020 market statistics, showing it reached a record average daily volume (ADV) of 32.1 million contracts during the month of March, up 68% from March 2019. First-quarter 2020 ADV reached a record 27 million contracts, an increase of 45% from first-quarter 2019. Open interest at the end of March was 123 million contracts. Market statistics are available online in greater detail at https://cmegroupinc.gcs-web.com/monthly-volume.
Quarterly ADV highlights across asset classes include:
- Record Interest Rate ADV of 13.8 million contracts, up 34% from Q1 2019
- Record Equity Index ADV of 6.5 million contracts, up 106% from Q1 2019
- Record Options ADV of 5.4 million contracts, up 41% from Q1 2019
- Record Energy ADV of 3.2 million contracts, up 38% from Q1 2019
- Agricultural ADV of 1.5 million contracts, up 9% from Q1 2019
- Foreign Exchange ADV of 1.1 million contracts, up 22% from Q1 2019
- Record Metals ADV of 889,000 contracts, up 58% from Q1 2019
March ADV across asset classes include:
- Interest Rate ADV of 15.7 million contracts, up 51% from March 2019
- Record Equity Index ADV of 8.9 million contracts, up 153% from March 2019
- Record Options ADV of 6.3 million contracts, up 54% from March 2019
- Record Energy ADV of 3.6 million contracts, up 67% from March 2019
- Agricultural ADV of 1.6 million contracts, up 16% from March 2019
- Record Foreign Exchange ADV of 1.4 million contracts, up 36% from March 2019
- Record Metals ADV of 920,000 contracts, up 55% from March 2019
Additional March highlights include:
- Total volume surpassed 25 million contracts for 15 continuous trading days
- Record Eurodollar futures ADV of 5 million contracts
- Record Micro E-mini Equity futures ADV of 2.3 million contracts
- Record WTI Crude Oil futures ADV of 1.9 million contracts
- Record Gold futures ADV of 471,000 contracts
- Record BrokerTec U.S.Treasury average daily notional value of $246 billion, up 39% from March 2019
- EBS Spot FX average daily notional value reached $131 billion, a 58% increase from March 2019
The last phase of SOFR First will involve exchange-traded derivatives with timing to be determined.
Latest phase of the uncleared margin rules were implemented in September.
U.S. equity options volumes have grown over the past several years.
The settings will help the U.S. dollar non-linear market in its transition from LIBOR.
Year-to-date cleared contract volume through end of September up 35%.