Hedge Funds See $4.45 Bln of Nov. Inflows12.20.2019
Hedge Funds See Inflows of $4.45 Billion in November, Ending Long String of Outflows
The hedge fund business turned around eight consecutive months of aggregate outflows in November, with investors allocating +$4.45 billion to the industry, according to the just-released November 2019 eVestment Hedge Fund Asset Flows Report. November’s asset inflows and performance gains brought overall hedge fund industry AUM to $3.285 trillion, according to the new report.
November’s inflows will ease industry fears that hedge fund outflows would match or surpass the $112 billion that was pulled from the industry in 2016, but the November 2019 year to date (YTD) outflows of $81.53 billion are not inconsequential.
Among primary hedge fund strategies, Directional Credit funds were the top asset winners in November, pulling in an additional +$2.59 billion. These funds have been on an asset losing trend however, with YTD asset flows of -$6.99 billion, which is unlikely to be turned around by whatever December brings.
Other interesting points from the new report include:
· Event Driven hedge funds are shaping up to be the big asset winners of 2019 among the primary strategies eVestment tracks, pulling in +$15 billion YTD. These funds pulled in +$1.63 billion in November alone.
· MBS Strategies also had a healthy November, pulling in $2.28 billion, bringing YTD inflows to $9.72 billion and, barring a major shift in December, should close out 2019 with big numbers.
· With November numbers in, Long/Short Equity funds look to be the big asset losers for the year. These funds saw investor redemptions of only $290 million in November, but YTD these funds have seen outflows of -$41.46 billion. Still, with AUM at $764.60 billion, Long/Short Equity funds are the largest primary strategy by far.
· After three consecutive months of inflows, Managed Futures funds shifted back to negative in November at -$2.11 billion. And although these funds had positive asset flows for the past three months, their YTD flows stand at -$8.61 billion.
· There were a small handful of elevated redemption from Emerging Markets funds in November, and no meaningful new allocations to offset. The result was a seventh consecutive month of net outflow for Emerging Markets funds.
Dalio founded the hedge fund 47 years ago.
Virtual forum enables senior execs to gauge sentiment and benchmark approaches to common challenges.
SkyBridge will use some proceeds to buy $40m in cryptocurrency to hold on its corporate balance sheet.
Assets in global ETFs were $5 trillion larger than assets invested in global hedge funds at the end of Q2.
More everyday tasks can be automated, alternative investment management industry report says.