Instinet Continues Global Equities, Options Volume Growth in Q310.13.2011
NEW YORK – October 13, 2011 – Instinet Incorporated, a global leader in electronic trading and agency-only brokerage services, today issued its global trading highlights for the third quarter. During the period the firm:
- -Traded an average 372,223,863 US-listed equity shares daily (4.25% overall market share*), an increase in 42.0% over the previous year;
- -Traded an average 284,474 US-listed options contracts daily (1.40% overall market share), a 211.7% increase over the previous year. This also included the execution of a single day firm-record 613,230 US-listed options contracts;
- -Ranked in the top five for NYSE agency program trading in 11 of the quarter’s 13 weeks;
- -Recorded a 41.5% year-over-year increase in value traded in the Asia-Pacific region, which included a single week firm-record $2.7 billion (USD) traded (non-Japan);
- -Recorded a 15.2% year-over-year increase in value traded in Europe.
“We are pleased with our third quarter market share gains and volume growth across asset classes and around the globe,” said Anthony Abenante, co-CEO of Instinet Incorporated. “Our experienced staff, agency-only model and multi-asset technology continue to serve our clients well as they navigate today’s challenging markets.”
* Instinet volume is single counted in the market share calculation. The overall market volume figure used is from Thomson Reuters DataScope Select for the equities calculation and the Options Clearing Corporation for the options calculation.
Instinet is an electronic trading pioneer, having established the world’s first major electronic trading venue in 1969, one of the first recognized U.S. ECNs in 1997 and the first pan-European MTF in 2007. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, Instinet operates two distinct business lines: a global network of agency-only brokers that seek to help institutions lower overall trading costs and improve investment performance through the use of innovative electronic trading products, including smart-routing, algorithms, DMA, TCA, dark pools and EMS platforms, and also provide sales trading, commission management services and independent research; and the Chi-X® Global businesses, which aim to improve the efficiency of capital markets globally by providing high-performance, low-cost alternative execution venues and the technology required to power them. Instinet is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc. For more information, please visit www.instinet.com or follow Instinet on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook.
©2011, Instinet Incorporated and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. INSTINET is a registered trademark in the United States and other countries throughout the world. Approved for distribution: in Australia by Instinet Australia Pty Limited (ACN: 131 253 686 AFSL No: 327834), which is regulated by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission; in Canada by Instinet Canada Limited and Instinet Canada Cross Limited, members IIROC/CIPF; in Europe by Instinet Europe Limited, which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority; in Hong Kong by Instinet Pacific Limited, which is authorized and regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong; in Japan by Instinet Japan Limited, which is a Financial Instrument Dealer under the Financial Instrument and Exchange Law, registered with Kanto Local Financial Bureau (Registration No. 208) and is a member of Japan Securities Dealers Association (JSDA); in Singapore by Instinet Singapore Services Private Limited, which is regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, a trading member of The Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Private Limited and a clearing member of The Central Depository (Pte) Limited; and in the US by Instinet, LLC, member SIPC.
Mark Dowd | Executive Director
Global Marketing & Communications
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Direct: 212 310 5331
Mobile: 201 376 9687
IM: mdowdatwork (AIM)
Follow Instinet on Twitter at @Instinet