Valentine’s Day: A His & Hers Gift Guide02.09.2012
Your dinner plans are set, your schedule is cleared, and your gift is–well, let’s just say that with this guide, your gift will be sheer perfection. Skip the usual presents and give your other half something really loveable.
1. Logitech M600 Touch Mouse. Most offices are PC-bound, but that doesn’t mean your significant other’s has to be. Give them the gift of magic scrolling with this Apple-like mouse. Logitech.com, $70.
2. Apple iPod Nano loaded with your choice of songs. Bring the mix tape back to life…sort of. Fill up this iPod with old favorites and let your Valentine jam out to some of those tunes from your first date/dance/road trip. Gee, aren’t you romantic? Apple.com, $129.
3. iHome iP4 Portable FM Stereo Boombox for iPhone/iPod. Sure, there are loads of unique, sleek, ultra-modern stereo docks for iPhones and iPods. But if your loved one is anything like us, he or she probably misses the old-school looks of the boomboxes from our youths. iHome.com, $199.
1. Diane Von Fustenberg Haircalf Clutch. Give your lady a touch of DVF’s trademark classy-yet-quirky style with this evening bag. intermixonline.com, $495.
2. David Yurman Pearl and Diamond Earrings. Chances are, she’s already got diamond studs and pearl earrings. This Yurman style is a gorgeously unique twist that combines both. saksfifthavenue.com, $575.
3. Brera Men’s Blackout Military Watch. This classically shaped, boldly detailed style will take him from the boardroom to after-hours cocktails. barneys.com, $750.
4. Garrett Leight Unisex Sunglasses. Augment your better half’s impeccable style with these timeless frames, complete with a flattering pop of color. needsupply.com, $290.00.
5. John Varvatos Men’s Double Layer Coat. This heavy-duty nylon jacket will keep your guy warm through the end of winter and the chilly beginning of spring–and with its hidden zip hood, he’ll be sure to keep dry, too. barneys.com, $998.00
6. Salvatore Ferragamo Owl & Flower Scarf. A little bit dressy, a little bit fun, and definitely ladylike. Sounds like someone who happens to be your Valentine… ferragamo.com, $340.
LOVES: WHISKEY & WINE
1. Lucien Crochet Sancerre 2009. There are sauvignon blancs, and then there are sauvignon blancs. Almost like a cross between Vouvray–the sauv blanc varietal also found in the Loire valley–and Chablis, to the north, Sancerre bridges the mineral-y, floral, lime-like notes found in Loire wines along with the more robust, fuller bite of Chablis. Impress your date with a bottle of this. wine.com, $29.99
2. Kilchoman Cask Strength Islay Scotch. The newest distillery to emerge from Islay, this brand breaks new ground by being the only one of its kind to source completely locally to create Islay’s trademark smoky, peaty scotches. Because they’re so new, you’ll still be able to find first releases to give as a gift this coming Valentine’s Day. thewhiskeyexchange.com, approx. $200.
LOVES: ART (OR BEING ARTSY)
1. DigiTech iPB10 Programmable Pedalboard for iPad. Do you happen to be in love with a guitar player? This gadget takes an iPad, plugs it into its ready-made dock, and links into an iPad app to give your Valentine–and his or her electric guitar–an extremely realistic effects stomping ground. digitech.com, $500.
2. Pentax K-01 Compact Camera. If your other half is a hobbyist, this retro-styled camera will allow them to ditch the bulky DSLR and still take artsy photos. With interchangeable lenses, 16-MP resolution, and an ISO of up to 25–good enough to allow shooting in near-dark conditions, Pentax’s latest compact offering packs a lot of fun in a bright little package (comes in white and black, too). Oh, and did we mention 1080-pixel video shooting and a 3-inch LCD screen? pentax.com, $900.
LOVES: THE GREAT OUTDOORS
1. L.L. Bean 100th Anniversary Wooden Snowshoes. Made the time-honored way, with steambent white ash that follows in a single grain around the whole of each shoe, these snowtrekkers are laced with varnished, waterproof rawhide decking and bindings. llbean.com, $329.
2. Zeal Optics GPS Ski Goggles. Navigate, communicate, and check out your performance stats on the inside of these goggles. Designed to allow full peripheral vision while displaying all the information your Valentine needs to find you back at the bunny slope. rei.com, $320.
1. Malcolm Gladwell Boxed Set. For the numbers-and-letters maniac in your life, these books are probably akin to the holy grail. Replace their dog-eared copies of The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers with this nicely bound hardcover set, and let your other half stay up a little later to read these volumes…again. amazon.com, $48.40.
2. Odd Bits: How To Cook The Rest Of The Animal. Meat isn’t just about the parts you’d normally find in a grocery store. Most global cuisines and more sophisticated cooking involves using those “weird” other parts of the pig/cow/lamb/chicken/buffalo. If your Valentine loves reading AND doing (and grilling, frying, broiling), this book is it. amazon.com, $30.