Where to Eat Tonight: NYC, Chicago, & London
Such a big town, so many options, so little time: check out our shortlist of highly-rated places to try in New York, Chicago, and London…all with special deals this week, natch.
London’s L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon has two Michelin stars and, this week, a prix-fixe deal.
1. Foxtrot Oscar. This Chelsea restaurant belongs to none other than Mr. Gordon Ramsay, though it’s relatively unknown compared to his many other locations. Known to be chock-full of locals, this inviting, cozy bistro offers a reasonably priced, varied roster of treats such as Scottish salmon ceviche and braised caramelized pork belly. Its special of 2 courses for £18 or 3 courses for £22 runs to mid-April. 79 Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea. Visit website to book a table.
2. L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon With two Michelin stars under its belt this year, this acclaimed Covent Garden eatery offers Mediterranean fare with simple ingredients and exquisite execution. See what all the award-winning fuss is about through their special, which offers 2 courses for £28, 3 courses for £32, or 4 courses for £40. 13-15 West Street, Covent Garden. Visit website to book a table.
3. Seven Park Place at St. James Hotel. This plush, intimate restaurant offers a luxurious setting for its menu, which is decidedly British with French technique. This Michelin-starred restaurant offers an prix-fixe 3-course dinner with a glass of bubbly for £58. As the dinner special expires on January 31 (Tuesday), be sure to book online straightaway–it’s the only way to snag the prix-fixe special. St. James Hotel, 7-8 Park Place, London.
4. Il Convivio. Starting January 30 and until February 13, this Italian spot in Belgravia offers two dinner courses for $23.50, and with a glass of prosecco and an amuse bouche included in the deal, this well-regarded restaurant is sure to deliver. Book online and be sure to mention the dinner special. 143 Ebury Street, Victoria, London.
5. Cadogan Arms. This blokey pub prides itself on its local atmosphere (round of pool, anyone?), yet offers a well-turned out menu of classic British food that’s best washed down with one of its ales. Book online until February 3 for a 25% discount on dishes such as Dexter beef carpaccio or Welsh lamb rack. 298 King’s Road, London.
NEW YORK – RESTAURANT WEEK TILL FEBRUARY 10 (3 course dinner, $35)
1. Yerba Buena Perry Street. With a mix of Central American, Caribbean, and South American cuisines, ingredients, and techniques, this Greenwich Village location (there’s one in the Lower East Side, too) serves up a deliciously tart tuna ceviche, a tamarind-glazed duck confit, and authentic cocktails. Try the michelada–a Mexican version of the bloody mary, except it’s spicy and comes with beer instead of vodka–and thank us later. Call to reserve, and ask for the Restaurant Week menu when you get there. 1 Perry Street (at Greenwich Street). 212-620-0808.
2. Esca. A collaboration between Mario Batali, Chef Dave Pasternack, and Joe Bastianich, this Northern Italian restaurant focuses on fresh, simply prepared seafood. Book up a restaurant table online or by phone. 402 West 43rd Street. 212-564-7272
3. Fig & Olive, Meatpacking. Why not see-and-be-seen while getting your 2012 Restaurant Week on? Nosh on well-prepared Mediterranean dishes with a focus on olive oils (hence the name), charcuterie, cheeses, and other shareable plates. Book online and ask for the Restaurant Week menu once you’re there. 420 West 13th Street. 212-924-1200.
4. Wall & Water at Andaz Hotel. Its homebase, the Andaz Hotel, has won a Conde Nast award for outstanding quality, and this restaurant, with its contemporary American menu, is just as highly regarded. For Restaurant Week, Wall & Water offers goodies such as a burrata cheese starter option, pan-seared salmon, and, for dessert, an option of flourless chocolate cake–thick, dense, and packed full of flavor. Book online or call to reserve. 75 Wall Street. 212-699-1700.
5. Atlantic Grill. With a location in Lincoln Center as well as on the Upper East Side, you’ll have no excuse to miss out on this beloved seafood restaurant’s Restaurant Week offerings, which include salmon ceviche, housemade linguine with scallops, and a citrus panna cotta. Use their easy online booking interface to snag your table. 1341 Third Avenue (at E. 76th St).
See other Restaurant Week options at NYCGo.com.
1. Meze Tapas Lounge. Atmosphere: check. Tasty small plates to share: check. Awesome deal every Monday for $3 tapas, $3 beers, and $5 sangrias? Check! Can’t make it on Monday? The same $3 tapas deal holds all week, so despair not–only the drinks specials change. Listed by the Michelin guide as “high-energy” and “luxurious”, this lounge should be a great way to enjoy and let loose (just a little). Book online for a table. 205 N. Peoria Street.
2. Takashi. This Michelin-starred Japanese restaurant is currently running a killer $69 tasting menu, and you’d be a fool to miss it, as it includes 6 courses (plus an amuse bouche, making it 7 courses, really). A crudo of Tasmanian sea trout starts off the tasting, followed by a seafood medley ceviche (scallops, shrimp, and other treats), then pan-fried Maine scallops, then caramelized pork belly, then…you get the idea. Add on a wine-pairing option for an extra $36, and you’ve got yourself the best deal out of all three cities in this post. Reserve a table online. 1952 North Damen Avenue.
3. Crofton-On-Wells. Looking for a low-key, yet elegant location with supremely executed comfort food? Chef Suzy Crofton’s place is it. Having won a Michelin star in 2011, this restaurant currently offers a prix-fixe special of 3 courses for $35. Add two glasses of wine, and the prix-fixe menu is $55…still an excellent deal for the value. Book online or call 312-755-1790. 535 North Wells Street.
4. Le Bouchon. This sweetly authentic little bistro prides itself on moderately priced, sumptuous traditional French fare: try the beef bourguignon, steak frites, roasted duck for two, or sauteed rabbit with mushrooms. Enjoy with a glass–or three–of wine, as Le Bouchon offers a 50% off wine special on Mondays. Dine here on Tuesdays, and you’ll get a prix-fixe 3-course meal for $25. Call 773-862-6600 to reserve a table. 1958 North Damen Avenue.